Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What's Efficiency Got to Do With It?

Efficiency is technically defined as the ratio of the energy used to the work accomplished, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the commonly accepted idea that efficiency is "skillfulness in avoiding wasted time and effort".

I have lived most of my life bowing down before the efficiency idol. In fact I've spent so much time planning and even pondering efficiency that I've very seldom been efficient at all. Have you ever found yourself frozen by fear of inefficiency? I have.

Then... an epiphany came: If the gift of immortality has brought us into the realm of the eternal (i.e. timelessness) then what does a measure of output over time have to do with it? My immediate answer was "nothing". Efficiency and productivity have no meaning when viewed from an eternal perspective. So what if I waste an hour in eternity? I have wasted nothing because hours are an infinitely renewable resource in eternity.

If I view eternity as happening right now, then only direction and movement toward the Center are important. Speed and time are irrelevant?

I think we could use more people with an eternal perspective. What about you?

I'll meet you further on up the road.

Jim Hill

1 comment:

jfordhill said...

Hey, do you think this might be a whole new formula for being really efficient? ;-)